lunes, 22 de octubre de 2012

Why some people shouldn't be deans

I am writing this entry in response to the Washington Post article, "Why Race Matters in School Admissions", and what my opinions are about this article and the authors. To summarize this article, the dean of Yale Law School and Harvard Law School talk about and state that they should be able to, and I believe they already do (I didn't quite understand if they wanted to do this or if it was already happening) was partially base their incoming students based on race.
   They gave the reason of, to sum it up, that some racial backgrounds could affect your life more than others. They didn't go much into detail about that, so I'm not quite understanding what they're getting at. I mean sure they know what race you are when they see your admission entry but just because you're an uncommon race (or common, they didn't explain that either) doesn't mean that you should have any less of a chance than everyone else. What's the worse case scenario of a bad background based on race? In my opinion, that's a very large generalization and stereotype, assuming one race has had more problems and wrong influences than the rest. That's a very low way of thinking, especially with such high standard schools.
We're not stuck in 1750, people, we don't need any more racial segregation. Thank you

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario